Saturday, December 28, 2013

Latest developments - 12/28/2013


Updates as of 12/28/2013:

#1. First, in the interest of fairness, another mod (whose opinion I respect) indicated that other site mods were consulted on the suspension and agreed to it. Puts things into a somewhat different perspective. I still think it was a gross overkill, but as I said, I respect his opinions in general.

---

#2. Interestingly, my suspension - suddenly - was ended as of yesterday (1 week instead of 30 days). No official explanation.

Could be because several people indicated in public (comments and chat) that they disagreed with the idea that I was "rude".

Could be because my chat with the second mod showed him that there was more than one side to the story.

Could be simply because the mods decided that I was so public with this suspension and would rather avoid the Barbara Streisend effect and generate more sympathy for me (or simply distract people).

Could be because there are other users on the site not happy with the moderation for other reasons (I know there are) and the mods were concerned that the optics looked bad for them and the site.

Could be a combination. Or some other reason.

Heck, I can even be vain and hope that it was because the second mod got a sense I was ready to take my marbles and go play on other sites - and no matter what my serial downvoter (see update #3) thinks, my contributions to the sites content are worth something.

---

#3 Lo and behold, my anonymous "friend" appeared again. I will blog about this serial downvoter later.

Today, as is typical, I got two downvotes following the usual pattern:

  • Both happened at the same time 
  • One to a new question I posted yesterday. 
    • leaving aside that someone downvotes many if not all questions I post as soon as I post them, not worrysome by itself. I will do some stats later and blog about this.
  • Second downvote was on an answer that was 2 weeks old. ...
  • ... with no updates on that post in the last 2 weeks
  • ... on a post that was 100% unrelated to the first downvote (different tag)
  • ... on a post where ONLY my answer was downvoted and not 3 others. 
  • ... on an answer that was not too bad (20/0 upvotes so far) as per people's subjective opinion
  • ... and also objectively a good answer because it was the only one that had a reference to specific book in the universe.
  • Yet it was the only one of 3 downvoted.

The likeliest way they would have seen that second post would be to search out my recent posts to find something to DV.

 Theoretically, they could have bumped into my answer while randomly browsing. But again, this was downvoted at exactly same time as my recent question - in a totally different tag and 2 weeks old. So that's not likely.


No comments:

Post a Comment